[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML (was: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review)

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Mon Jul 15 23:15:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 03:36:15PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 06:08:29PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 14:50 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > > Bullshit.
> > >

> > Can we please make this into a Kernel Summit discussion. I highly doubt
> > we would solve anything, but it certainly would be a fun segment to
> > watch :-)
>
> I agree, KS is where this conversation should be taking place.
> Attendees for this conversation (so far) should be Greg KH, Linus,
> Darren Hart, Steve Rostedt, Willy Tarreau, and me.

One thing you should keep in mind in your discussion is what can happen
if people get too polite with each other.

I have seen this happen at two large companies I worked for. Early on, flames
are acceptable and expected as response to someone publishing bad code which
breaks everything for everyone. Then, at some point, it is not acceptable
anymore to flame, and one is expected to be polite and friendly at all times.
"Your code breaks the build for every platform. Would you please kindly
consider fixing it ?"
Result is that code quality suffers, to the point where images don't even
build anymore.

I hope the Linux kernel never gets into that stage. To avoid that,
I am willing to be cursed at by Linus if I am the responsible party.

Guenter