[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML (was: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review)

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 01:02:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 15:38 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:
> >
> > Can we please make this into a Kernel Summit discussion. I highly doubt
> > we would solve anything, but it certainly would be a fun segment to
> > watch :-)
>
> I think we should, because I think it's the kind of thing we really
> need at the KS - talking about "process".
>
> At the same time, I really don't know what the format would possibly
> be like for it to really work as a reasonable discussion. And I think
> that is important, because this kind of subject is *not* likely
> possible in the traditional "people sit around tables and maybe
> somebody has a few slides" format.
>
> A small panel discussion with a few people (fiveish?) that have very
> different viewpoints, along with baskets of rotten fruit set out on
> the tables? That could be fun. And I'm serious, although we might want
> to limit the size of the fruit to smaller berries ;)
>
> Sarah will bring the brownies.

I'm sure slashdot will be happy to follow up, seeing as how this heated
discussion just made headlines there.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/07/15/2316219/kernel-dev-tells-linus-torvalds-to-stop-using-abusive-language

Personally I *like* when abusive language is used, assuming it's used
appropriately.  I *hate very much* when people are nice to me and let
their frustrations grow, only to ambush me later with a string of curses
and lashings in one fell swoop.  Not only does "holding it in" set me up
for failure becuase I remain ignorant, I also feel downright betrayed
when they come off as vindictive bastards that saved their beefs until
the moment was ripe to do the most damage.  It doesn't just make me lose
respect for them, it makes me lose trust.

Give me an honest asshole over a silver tongued backstabber any day.