[Ksummit-2013-discuss] KS Topic request: Handling the Stable kernel, let's dump the cc: stable tag

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Tue Jul 16 16:45:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 23:24 -0700, David Lang wrote:

> Just because some crazy person ;-) decides to maintain 2.4 for many years
> doesn't mean that every subsystem maintainer needs to worry about backporting
> patches from 3.11 all the way back to 2.4. The fact that they are as willing as
> they are to review the results of the backports for problems in amazing.

Any "process" that we come up with for maintainers with respect to the
stable tree, should only matter to the official ones "last release" and
"last release-1". All others are the responsibility of those maintaining
it. Long term stable trees shouldn't burden the maintainer unless they
want to help.

I don't expect much help from maintainers for the 3.6 stable I maintain.
Any help I do get I'm greatly appreciated of. I also love it when
maintainers add which versions of the kernel a bug fix goes back too.
That is, I love seeing