[Ksummit-2013-discuss] When to push bug fixes to mainline

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jul 16 20:11:28 UTC 2013

On Jul 12, 2013 8:28 PM, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> On 07/12/2013 11:16 AM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >
> > This relates to the "a posteori metadata" problem with git.  In theory I
> > think git notes should handle those, but I have to admit that git notes
> > somewhat creep me out because there doesn't seem to be any version
> > control on them, and as far as I can tell there is only one note per
object.

> OK, just read up some more on git notes, and *both* the assumptions I
> had made about git notes were fundamentally wrong.  Not sure how well
> they would scale, though, but stuffing metadata like additional
> Acked-by:, Tested-by: and Cc: stable into notes seems more viable after
> reading the spec.

Although adding tags like Acked-by or Reviewed-by later makes littke sense,
one thing I still would love to see via an additional note is the
regression tracking.
If we can append a note to the particular commit to show that it triggers a
regression and is fixed by a commit xyz, it can be a great help for
avoiding a pitfall during bisection.

Or, perhaps adding a new tag indicating that this is a commit fixing a
regression by commit abc would serve enough, but then reverse mapping
becomes a bit harder.

Takashi