[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

Luck, Tony tony.luck at intel.com
Wed Jul 17 18:24:07 UTC 2013

> Those are just stories; things that happened. What you need to provide
> is *evidence* that if the community changes, things will be better,
> and unless you have a study of series of collaborative groups like the
> Linux kernel, that demonstrates that suppressing swearing has a
> positive effect in the community, I'd say all you have is an
> *opinion*.

1) There isn't going to be any hard evidence - this isn't a physics problem,
or even an engineering problem. It's a social problem.  There are no other
collaborative groups sufficiently similar to the Linux kernel community, so there
are no studies that would be relevant. Asking for the impossible is just a
lame delaying tactic.

2) Sarah hasn't even asked to cut down on the swearing - so why mention
it at all? Did you even read the thread?

So I shall (for comedic effect) indulge in my own (uncharacteristic) bit
of name calling and dub thee a troll (and every other bad thing that anyone
is ever alleged of calling another on LKML, just to be sure).

-Tony