[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Wed Jul 17 20:18:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:
> I've said it several times in this thread. I think the tone of LKML has
> been getting more tame, and it's not your father's mailing list
> anymore. ;-)

Indeed.

Several (definitely more than 5) years ago, there was a presentation (IIRC
even a keynote) at OLS about the hostility of lkml to newcomers.
Bad and good examples were shown. Several attendees couldn't believe
who wrote one of the good examples, as its author was used to be known
for his very harsh emails several years before ;-)

And in the mean time, things have improved even more!

Side note: lots of this use of words is cultural. When I first visited the USA,
I was surprised to never hear anyone use four letter words, unlike in movies
exported from the USA. While these English words had become common in
Europe (at least in Belgium)...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds