[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Wed Jul 17 23:19:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 04:08:31PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 03:49:23PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > On 07/17/13 15:02, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 07:40:43AM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > >
> > > [ ... ]

> > > The f word is considered highly offensive in some cultures. Granted its use is
> > > now far more spread than it used to be, but it seems interesting to me that you
> > > of all people use a word which I personally would never use at all, much less
> > > in front of a woman. Sounds like a contradiction to me, especially when you use
> > > it while arguing for a more civil discussion.
> > >
> > > Do you think you need to use that word to make a point ? If so, why do you want
> > > to take that right away from others ?
> >
> > Thank you for your comment.  (seriously)
> >
> > and Dave Miller's as well.
>
> The USA social conventions have changed quite significantly over the past
> 50 years, haven't they?  But that is OK, the younger people on this list
> will likely have the opportunity to experience far greater changes over
> the next 50 years, especially given increasing fractions of people's
> life experiences being publicly recorded.  It would be interesting to
> see how they react, but I probably won't be around to witness it.  ;-)

My kids use the word all the time, and look at me with an odd face if I point out
that it is not a nice word to use (for me). Several people I know and respect
seem to be unable to say a sentence without using it. So, yes, I am aware that
times are changing, and that my cultural context is different than that of the
culture I am living in. But that isn't the point here.

Guenter