[Ksummit-2013-discuss] KS Topic request: Handling the Stable kernel, let's dump the cc: stable tag

Kalle Valo kvalo at adurom.com
Thu Jul 18 07:45:47 UTC 2013

"John W. Linville" <linville at tuxdriver.com> writes:

> Is having a flood of fixes in x.y.1 any worse than having to got to an
> -rc8 or an -rc9?

I think it's better to send less fixes to -rc8 or -rc9 and focus more on
testing. That way there should be less regressions in later stages of
-rc releases and especially in the final x.y.0 release.

Most of the time I don't even consider updating to the stable releases,
I just wait for the next .0 release from Linus. For this kind of
workflow there is a clear advantage of slowing down patch flow before
the release, better chances of not needing to update the kernel that
often.

--
Kalle Valo