[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

Ingo Molnar mingo at kernel.org
Fri Jul 19 11:59:19 UTC 2013

* Willy Tarreau <w at 1wt.eu> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 07:40:43AM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>
> > Go look at Dreamwidth, the open source Livejournal fork.  It has a
> > good code of conduct, so developers are civil to each other.  They
> > encourage all patch submissions, and take the time to work with people
> > who don't understand their community rules.
> >
> > The result: 75% of their developers are women.  If you give a flying
> > fuck about diversity, and want to attract women to your open source
> > project, your developers need to be civil, and not verbally abuse each
> > other.
>
> But this has nothing to do with a project's success or quality, gender
> is not related. Are you suggesting that with more women the Linux kernel
> would be a more successful project ? If so I think you're a bit biased.
> In my opinion, only its good people make it a good project, whatever
> their gender.

I don't necessarily agree with everything that Sarah has stated, but I
think we can declare it with scientific certainty that utilizing the other
50% of creative brainpower that humanity has available can only improve
the Linux kernel, and drastically so.

( The "how" is the 1 trillion dollars question, and I'm glad Sarah is
  working on that problem. )

Thanks,

	Ingo