[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 18:42:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo at kernel.org> wrote:

> * Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

>> As Linus already pointed out, not everybody has to work with everybody.
>
> That's not the point though, the point is to potentially roughly double
> the creative brain capacity of the Linux kernel project.

Unfortunately that's impossible; we all know there aren't as many
women programmers as there are men. So there's absolutely *nothing*
the Linux kernel can do to double the creative brain capacity of the
Linux kernel project (at least with respect to women).

At best that is a societal/academic/professional issue, not a Linux issue.

> Even if you don't care about gender fairness, that kind of bona fide
> benefit to the project is worth a try or two I think ...

I think the Linux kernel is perfectly gender-fair, in fact, you don't
even need to state you gender; you would be treated the same either
way.

But you are avoiding the question as well; do you think there's
something fundamentally different about the female brain that makes
them more susceptible to personal attacks? If yes, where is the
scientific evidence? If there's no evidence, then it's merely an
opinion that is not shared by others (e.g. me), and if no, then
whatever the men can take, the women can take as well, so nothing
needs to change.

--
Felipe Contreras