[Ksummit-2013-discuss] Keeping the barbarians at the gate

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Fri Jul 19 21:16:57 UTC 2013

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:16:34 -0400
Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker at windriver.com> wrote:

> Anywhere we currently have some implied expectation that exists only
> as tribal knowledge (typically from having read years worth of Linux
> related e-mail) - we should make an effort to get that information
> captured somewhere in an easily digestible format, both for new and
> existing maintainers.

That was sort of the idea behind Documentation/development-process ... and
SubmittingPatches and HOWTO and ...  Agreed that they are due for an
update.  I've been meaning to try to find some time to do some of that,
but ...

> If Linus complains every merge window about someone rebasing five
> minutes before sending a pull request, then we need to communicate
> the expectation that people shouldn't do that, better somehow.

Way back when, Jeff Garzik's "Kernel hacker's guide to Git" helped a lot
of people get started.  Now there's a lot of gittery that maintainers need
to know, from rebasing, merge hygiene, signed tags, and more to simple
things like where to find the interesting repositories. It calls out for a
new and separate document, I think. One of these days...

jon