[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] ACPI vs DT

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jul 22 00:05:09 UTC 2013

Aother topic that may be interest, but also might be better done in a
smaller group:

We are quickly gravitating toward a world where we have two
configuration systems on most systems: OF/DeviceTree and ACPI.  There
are of course a large number of players involved, but at least we, as
the Linux community, should figure out what we would like to see to make
it easier for a driver for a specific IP block to work in either an OF
or an ACPI-based system.  There are two aspects to this:

1. The generic stuff (memory ranges, etc.) -- each configuration method
has its own mechanism for exporting that, and it is up to us, the Linux
kernel community, to make sure we have generic interfaces in the kernel.

2. The device-specific stuff.  Here we may need to make a standards wish
list for what kind of information we want to see exported, and how to
make it as easy as possible to maximize code reuse.

	-hpa