[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] ACPI vs DT

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Mon Jul 22 13:42:34 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Guenter Roeck <linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:

> Another interesting one: Intel CPUs in embedded systems. Should those use DT or
> ACPI ? Any interest or plan to make DT fully available for Intel CPUs ?

Judging from the patches I've receieved for different x86 embedded GPIO
controllers recently, there seems to be an ambition to use ACPI (for
example BayTrail is doing an honest attempt).

For embedded systems not coming from Intel the ambition seems to
be lower, and basically revert to do what the probe() function was named
after: probe around in the x86 IOport range, brining us back to the
ISA times.

Example:

Yours,
Linus Walleij