[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] Interface stability guarantees

Mon Jul 22 16:19:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 12:01 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 08:42 -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-07-21 at 15:58 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > > We talked a little about this last year, already, but there has been
> > > some interesting corner cases that have reared their heads this past
> > > year.
> >
> > Do you have some examples you can share with the list, so we can begin
> > the discussion even before KS happens?
>
> I'm starting to think we don't need a KS at all. Just pretend to have
> one and have people try to attend it by sending [ATTEND] emails. Then we
> can solve all the issues on the mailing list and not bother with the
> summit ;-)

I regard this as a feature not a bug.  It's exactly how we run LSF/MM:
all issues for discussion must be broached on the list first.  It's
usually easy to tell the important topics from the amount of discussion
and dissention they generate, so list discussion acts as a topic filter.

If we turn KS into a show and tell for issues people think are important
but haven't been discussed elsewhere, we're in jeopardy of having
everyone go "yawn" when they come up.

James