[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] kernel testing

Myklebust, Trond Trond.Myklebust at netapp.com
Mon Jul 22 21:39:09 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-07-21 at 14:06 +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to attend this year's Kernel Summit.
>
> During the past year I've been working on the 0day kernel testing
> framework, which provides instant test service for 300+ kernel git
> trees. The system currently runs
>
> - build tests covering 200+ configs from 30 archs
> - static checkers: sparse, smatch, coccinelle, checkpatch.pl
> - randconfig boot tests in KVM
> - trinity, cpu hotplug, xfstests etc. runtime tests
>
> The system features auto bisecting and reporting. The high confident
> error/warnings are directly reported to the author/committer/mailing
> list, CC kbuild-all at 01.org for achieve purpose. The low confident ones
> are sent to  kbuild at 01.org for manual checks.
>
> https://lists.01.org/pipermail/kbuild
> https://lists.01.org/pipermail/kbuild-all
>
> 0day performance testing is coming soon. Hopefully you'll see more and
> more performance reports in the coming months before kernel summit. :)
> Basically we'll be monitoring performance changes in the 300+ public
> developer/maintainer/upstream git trees and report any changed vmstat,
> iostat, nfsstat, lock_stat, perf etc. numbers in a variety of test
> cases, configurations and hardware.
>
> I'm interested in any topic on kernel testing.

I second this. I think that it would be great to have a discussion on
performance testing, and specifically on what maintainers can do to help
Fengguang in this effort. Should we be supplying tests, performance
measurement tools, other? If so, what would be the preferred approach to
get these included in Fengguang's setup.

Cheers,
  Trond

--
Trond Myklebust