[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] tip tree workflow

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Mon Jul 22 22:19:01 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> There were interest expressed in one of the other threads about the -tip
> tree workflow and tooling; to make sure it doesn't get lost I'm putting this
> here separately.
>
> I'm offering to do a summary session on how the -tip tree works, tools we
> have developed, processes that has evolved over time and mistakes made in
> the process -- in other words, what has worked, what hasn't. This will
> doubtlessly include the changes in processes and tooling that we are
> currently implementing in response to last week's process meltdown and the
> resulting Finnish.
>
> This is an example workflow, obviously -- this is what works for us; we are
> obviously not intending to portray this is as the One True Way to do joint
> maintainership, but if others can steal ideas or tools and perhaps we can
> get feedback that would clearly be positive.

As mentioned in the other thread, being a maintainer of another
high-volume multi-maintainer tree, I'm also very interested in this
topic.

arm-soc tends to have quite a few cross-dependencies with other
subsystems and we've had our share of opportunities to adjust the way
we handle things based on that and other things. My contribution would
be along those lines; compared to -tip, what's worked well for us and
not, workflow, tooling, etc.

-Olof