[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Tue Jul 23 01:39:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 09:26 +0800, Li Zefan wrote:

> IT companies in China, they try to make sure there's at least one (most the
> time the result is just one) female developer/tester in a team, and a team
> is ~10 people. Even if it's a kernel team, but it's harder to meet.
>
> Don't know if the same strategy is applied in other countries.

Just my observation, but it seems that I see more women in tech from the
Asian countries than from the US.

Watching my two teenage daughters grow up here as well as their friends,
the focus of our schools still seem more bent on being good in sports
than in academics, and even worse for science. Sports for girls happen
to be much more serious than when I was in school. Being a "nerd" for a
boy is starting to get a bit more acceptance (see Big Bang Theory), but
for girls they seem a bit more harsh. At least from what I can tell by
watching how things are with my kids and their friends. One of the
friends of my daughter, who does very well in school, hides her grades
and "pretends" to be stupid. This is really a sad state of affairs if
you ask me :-(

-- Steve