[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] Interface stability guarantees

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Thu Jul 25 07:43:38 UTC 2013

I've seen a couple times where we end up deliberately breaking
support for some closed source firmware debugging tool.  For example
there was a wireless driver that writes custom debug firmware to the
device by catting it to a debugfs file.  The firmware comes with a
close source tool to use it.

Here is a recent one:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/25/41

It has custom ioctls for their optional SDK.  We would like to
delete the ioctls or change them to sysfs files and netlink etc.

regards,
dan carpenter