[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Fri Jul 26 13:59:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 02:50:53PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 09:45 -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> >
> > We agree, I was just highlighting that attributes outside of chosen can
> > and need to be rewritten by the bootloader.
>
> Yes, absolutely. I had actually edited and re-ordered my message
> <1374831744.2923.42.camel at shinybook.infradead.org> to try to make that
> clearer by explicitly saying that the nodes which describe hardware
> devices *can* change, before I ever made any mention of /chosen as
> something which is almost *exclusively* dynamic.
>
> Evidently that wasn't sufficient clarification. :)

It was, I just wanted to spell out an actual use-case for folks who are
new to devicetree.  Also, I was trying to gently poke everyone to take a
look at the mvebu-mbus binding Ezequiel just posted ;-)

Arnd Bergman and Jason Gunthorpe (and others) have reviewed it to death,
but with this new push for review by the devicetree maintainers, we
thought it best to repost it here (devicetree ml) before merging it.

thx,

Jason.