[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 16:36:13 UTC 2013

On 07/26/2013 10:49 AM, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 03:09:29PM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
>>
>>> Unless I totally misunderstood, the thread is talking about letting
>>> established bindings change with each new kernel version.  I am
>>> opposed to that.
>>
>> No, nobody is really saying that is a particularly good idea.  There is
>> some debate about how we work out what an established binding is but
>> there's no serious suggestion that we don't want stable bindings.
>
> Yes, what Mark said -- _today_ all bindings are subject to change and
> can be changed in lockstep with the kernel. This has been necessary as
> part of development to sort out all of the various bootstrapping
> issues across platforms.

This is absolutely not true on a global basis. Any binding used on
powerpc or sparc is not subject to change. Furthermore, there are ARM
platforms such as highbank where the bindings are expected to be stable.
That's not saying they don't change (new properties for SATA just
today), but they only change in a backwards compatible way.

Rob