[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

Richard Cochran richardcochran at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 08:53:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 11:15:24AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 06:54:33AM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> > I too work on commercial embedded systems, and DT has proven to be
> > one gigantic *PITA*.
>
> Why do you think our experiences are so different?

Here are a few recent examples:

* What happens when one wants to boot vanilla kernel on the beaglebone?

  http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg198431.html

* Wanting already merged code to work is too much to ask.

  http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg79731.html

* When people try in good faith to conduct methodical boot tests,
  DT is working against them.

  http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg79960.html

Thanks,
Richard