[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

Arend van Spriel arend at broadcom.com
Sat Jul 27 10:34:32 UTC 2013

On 07/27/2013 12:24 PM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 07/27/2013 11:51 AM, Tomasz Figa wrote:
>>>
>>> Why is this a long term goal? Start today.

>>> Why not just set up a git tree right away?

>>> No.
>>>
>>> I keep saying, the bindings must be stable ABI, *today*.
>>>
>>> You keep saying, maybe later, but until then we will make things up as
>>> we go along.
>>
>> We have currently a lot of broken bindings, because people didn't know
>> how
>> to define ones and those they defined have not been properly reviewed. Do
>> you really want such broken ABI in the kernel?
>>
>> Sure, there are many existing bindings that can be just made stable and
>> well they probably are already de facto stable. This is mostly about
>> subsystem bindings and whatever already has many users, both made them
>> get
>> more thought when designing and more review before merging.
>>
>> Still, a lot of device and platform-specific bindings are simply broken.
>> Take max8925 backlight driver, that Olof started this whole discussion
>> with, as an example. We need to sort them out before they can be
>> stabilized.
>
> That is a nice summary of how we got from null to now and Richard seems
> to be simply saying: let's stop mucking about and make this a project
> with a well-defined process of dealing with staging and stable bindings
> and keep stable bindings stable. Whether it should be within the kernel
> repo as a separate subsystem or in an entire different repo is a trivial
> decision, but still a decision that needs to be made.
>
> Apart from stable DT bindings I would love to see a DT compiler that
> that next to DT syntax detects mistakes in properties used for the
> selfish reason that I spent hours debugging regulator code, because I
> typed vmmc_supply iso vmmc-supply. I did not go through all the
> bindings, but this may require a more formal description so it could be
> compiled/read in the DT compiler.

Oh, and the reason for my tinkering on dts is here:

http://mid.gmane.org/51E7AA24.6080600@broadcom.com

Happily using Pandaboard for my driver testing and than *kaboom*.
board-omap4panda.c is gone although the device tree does not provide the
same functionality. Of course, this is not about DT bindings.

Regards,
Arend