[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

jonsmirl at gmail.com jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 20:01:10 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Arend van Spriel <arend at broadcom.com> wrote:
>> Let's see how many people go and scream if I say this: Too bad .dts files
>> are not done using XML format as DT bindings could be described using XML
>> Schema.
>
> Draft an example and show us how it would look!  :-)  There is
> absolutely nothing preventing us from expressing a DT in XML format,
> or even using XSLT to define DT schema while still using our current
> .dts syntax. It would be trivial to do lossless translation between
> .dts syntax and xml.
>
> The problem that I have with XML and XSLT is that it is very verbose
> and not entirely friendly to mere-mortals. However, I'm more than
> willing to be proved wrong on this point.

I considered this approach a while ago and discarded it. It would work
but it is just too much of a Frankenstein monster.

Much cleaner to modify dtc to take a schema as part of the compilation
process. The schema language itself has no requirement to look like
DTS syntax. Whoever wrote dtc probably has a favorite language that
would be good for writing schemas in.