[Ksummit-2013-discuss] NUMA locality for storage

Matthew Wilcox willy6545 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 03:00:21 UTC 2013

Another potential topic (or subtopic if we do a session on low latency
devices).  With lower latency storage, the cross-socket latency and even
bandwidth starts to become an issue. We have NUMA APIs for memory, but they
focus on allocating memory local to the thread. If you're writing new data,
then sure, write it to a device close to the thread, but if you're
accessing already-written data, then it seems to me that an API that asks
for a cpumask close to a range of data might be a good idea.

Or maybe not. Does this interact with anybody else's plans?