[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

Sun Jul 28 05:11:16 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-07-27 at 21:28 -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:

> >> I considered this approach a while ago and discarded it. It would work
> >> but it is just too much of a Frankenstein monster.
> >>
> >> Much cleaner to modify dtc to take a schema as part of the compilation
> >> process. The schema language itself has no requirement to look like
> >> DTS syntax. Whoever wrote dtc probably has a favorite language that
> >> would be good for writing schemas in.
> >
> > Making it part of dtc is a required feature as far as I'm concerned.
> > Using XML/XSLT and dtc-integration are not mutually exclusive, but I
> > digress.
>
> Oops, ignore the XSLT bit. XSLT isn't schema and has no bearing on the
> discussion of schema. Sorry for the noise.

XSLT is a transform language ... you'd use it say to transform xml to
dtc, so it would be an integral component of an xml/xslt based schema.

If you want actually to describe and have validated the xml schema
itself, then you'd use xsd (XML schema description language) and its
associated tools.

I'm not saying you *should* do this, just that it's possible (plus I've
just blown my kernel cred by knowing about xml, sigh).

James