[Ksummit-2013-discuss] NUMA locality for storage

Christoph Lameter cl at linux.com
Tue Jul 30 14:16:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> Longer term, I'd like to see this information exposed all the way up to the
> scheduler, so it could be used as one of the factors in automatically
> determining thread placement. We should probably start out less ambitiously
> though.

Longer term it seems that we need to support a RDMA capabilities via QPs
(like offered by the RDMA subsystem) also for storage. Intel has projects
in the works with NVM that require the kernel to get out of the way of the
data path. Offloading like the RDMA subsystem does is required for full
performance.

See
https://www.openfabrics.org/ofa-documents/presentations/doc_download/559-on-suitability-of-high-performance-networking-api-for-storage.html