[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] catching up on exploit mitigations

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 23:15:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 02:11:20AM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 06:14:35PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:05:40PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
 > >  > - fuzzing (is anyone running trinity or similar on the ARM tree?)
 > >
 > > Someone was kind enough to send me an arm chromebook, so I tried this just
 > > last week (albeit, on the 3.4 kernel it shipped with). The results make
 > > me think the answer is a resounding 'no'.
 >
 > Shouldn't you run trinity only under QEMU or similar virtual
 > environment? Don't know about chromebook, but on some of my ARM boards
 > a misbehaving kernel could at least in theory brick the board...

I like to live dangerously.  Don't imitate everything you see on TV,
or read about on lkml.

More seriously, that's true if you're running trinity as root, which
yes, I usually advise people only do in qemu etc.

If you're running it as a regular user and you can brick the board,
you might have bigger problems.

	Dave