[Ksummit-2013-discuss] Defining schemas for Device Tree

jonsmirl at gmail.com jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 12:01:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 07:23:36PM -0400, jonsmirl at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Uboot could be an issue but I don't think they are actually doing
>> anything with FDTs yet, they are just talking about doing it.
>
> Right, plus any other bootloaders that handle the DT in some way.  Those
> that just copy the file through without looking at it aren't an issue
> but I thought people were doing things like adding in properties for
> serial numbers but perhaps that's less widespread than I'd thought and
> it's not an issue.

uboot patches up the amount of RAM it finds into the FDT. It might
patch up clock speed too, I don't remember. I haven't seen it add
serial numbers but it might, not sure which serial numbers.

There has been talk for several years about turning uboot into a bunch
of device drivers and using FDT to control it. Allwinner has done that
with the fex implementation. The uboot work is still in the talking
about it phase.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com