[Ksummit-discuss] kselftest - What's in 3.17 and plans for 3.18 and beyond

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Tue Aug 12 17:30:37 UTC 2014

On Aug 12, 2014 9:22 AM, "Guenter Roeck" <linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:

> On 08/12/2014 06:00 AM, Grant Likely wrote:

>>> I see, for that purpose, installing testcase may not fit.
>>> BTW, how would it cover cross-build?
>>

>> I'm interested in this as well. I'm working on a tool that crossbuilds a
>> very simple busybox rootfs and boots in QEMU for as many architectures
>> as possible. I want to make it easy to sanity test all the major
>> architectures. Right now it does little more than boot to a login
>> prompt, but I'd like to get the kselftests into it also.
>>

> Do you have that public yet ? I might want to use that for my -stable sanity tests.

I've been working on a somewhat orthogonal approach: I have a script
that boots a kernel from a bunch of files, including, optionally, the
host system.  So far, it supports x86 and arm, but adding
architectures is very simple -- it just needs some hints for how to
invoke QEMU.

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/kernel/virtme/virtme.git

One of virtme's explicit goals is to make it easy to boot a kernel,
run a script, and shut down.  The syntax for that is a bit awkward
right now, but it works.

It still needs a rootfs for non-native boots, so your tool could help with that.

--Andy