[Ksummit-discuss] Mount API?

Miklos Szeredi miklos at szeredi.hu
Mon Aug 18 08:35:39 UTC 2014

FYR here's Al's summary of the subject, which I think is a good starting point:

      "Frankly, I wonder if we are trying to pack too much into one
syscall - not just in terms of overloading it (that much is obvious),
but in terms of trying to cram a sequence of syscalls into one.  If
we end up introducing new API(s) for mount(), it's probably worth
considering something like this:
        * open a connection to fs type driver, get a descriptor
        * use normal IO syscalls (usually just write(2)) on that
descriptor to tell fs type driver what do we want.  If any kind of
authentication is needed, that's the time for doing it
        * attach the thing identified by that descriptor to mountpoint"

Thanks,
Miklos