[Ksummit-discuss] Should we force include <linux/err.h> when compiling all .c files?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jul 28 22:53:02 UTC 2014

On 07/28/2014 01:16 PM, Julia Lawall wrote:

>> We have such a clear procedure.  It involves pre-arranging with Linus
>> *before the merge window begins* to run the script in question
>> *immediately before releasing rc1*.
>
> In this case, would it really create many conflicts?  Does the list of
> included files change often.
>
> If there is an optimial position for the include, it could be hard to make
> a perfect script.

In this case it probably doesn't matter much, because there is a key
difference between this and most other patchsets of this type: there is
an order that this can be done which is safe.  Specifically, add the
#include where it needs to go as a patch series, and then remove it from
the build.  If this is merged into a git tree and the resulting build
fails, it will be obvious what needs to happen, and sfr and Linus are
really good about managing that in linux-next and mainline,
respectively, so I don't even think we need to go to this "special
procedure" for this case.

	-hpa