[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] kernel testing standard

Masami Hiramatsu masami.hiramatsu.pt at hitachi.com
Wed Jun 4 13:51:24 UTC 2014

(2014/05/31 7:53), Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 02:35:30PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>>
>> I agree with this. Just having a single place to put tests or tell
>> people where the tests are would be a huge improvement. If I wanted to
>> run my own tests on ext file systems, I should be able to set up the
>> same environment that Ted uses.
>
> And you can!
>
> 	https://git.kernel.org/cgit/fs/ext2/xfstests-bld.git/tree/README
>
> My test environment has been designed so it's fully reproducible, and
> I've been pushing ext4 developers to use it before submitting me
> patches.  And if they don't, and I detect a problem which bisects back
> to one of their patches, I let them know gently that if they had used
> kvm-xfstests, they would have detected earlier.
>
> Maybe just adding a field in the MAINTAINERS file which contains a
> pointer to the tests is the simplest solution?

Yes, I think at least that should be done. It is also good to know
what hardware is required to run the test for some subsystems.

And then, if we can share them among kernel developers, we can
step things forward to ensuring testing process in release/development
cycle. e.g. all subsystem maintainers run own tests before sending pull
request and right after rebasing kernel. This can ensures no regression
on that subsystem.

Thank you,

--
Masami HIRAMATSU
Software Platform Research Dept. Linux Technology Research Center
E-mail: masami.hiramatsu.pt at hitachi.com