[Ksummit-discuss] Topic: Removal of code that is still in use by users but there is a better code.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 10 20:19:12 UTC 2014

On 06/10/2014 01:12 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I would want to propose a topic on removing code in Linux that
> users are using - but they are doing it less and less and it
> mostly is tied in with older hardware. Specifically how to do
> this transition properly - and if we want to define some checklist
> /policy to do it via.

I second this.  Right now deprecation is entirely ad hoc... usually in
the form "this hasn't compiled for X releases and noone noticed", which
makes it hard to do *controlled* deprecation...

I realize this is a third rail kind of topic, but it puts us in really
hard spots as a project, sometime.

	-hpa