[Ksummit-discuss] Topic: Removal of code that is still in use by users but there is a better code.

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Wed Jun 11 17:54:33 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 01:19:12PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 06/10/2014 01:12 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I would want to propose a topic on removing code in Linux that
> > users are using - but they are doing it less and less and it
> > mostly is tied in with older hardware. Specifically how to do
> > this transition properly - and if we want to define some checklist
> > /policy to do it via.
> >

> I second this.  Right now deprecation is entirely ad hoc... usually in
> the form "this hasn't compiled for X releases and noone noticed", which
> makes it hard to do *controlled* deprecation...

That is a bit different to "users are using but less and less". Personally
I would not mind leaving code in the kernel as long as it is used, but
it would be great if we had some rule that a file/driver which did
not compile for X releases (pick a preferred number for X - two years
worth of releases ?) can be removed.

Guenter