[Ksummit-discuss] Topic: Removal of code that is still in use by users but there is a better code.

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Wed Jun 11 22:01:48 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Bjorn,
>
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:43:18 -0600 Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> all did our jobs perfectly, we would never add a change to Linux that
>> broke compilation of anything.  So if there's a file that doesn't
>> compile anymore, I think of that as a result of a mistake somewhere
>> along the line.  We can use that mistake to deduce that nobody cares
>> anymore, but it'd be a lot nicer to have a scheme that didn't depend
>> on people making random mistakes.
>
> We could start making nonrandom mistakes? ;-)

How about adding CONFIG_DELETED_THINGS.  If you enable it, you get a
message asking you to speak up if you actually need anything in there.
CONFIG_DELETED_THINGS would default to n, and the new (and temporary)
things under it would also default to n.

Think feature-removal-schedule, but with teeth.

--Andy