[Ksummit-discuss] Topic: Removal of code that is still in use by users but there is a better code.

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Thu Jun 12 02:48:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 16:22:16 -0700
Guenter Roeck <linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:

> I understand, but personally I don't have much problem with code as long
> as it compiles. I am more concerned with code that doesn't compile and
> no one cared for years.

Matters what your definition of "doesn't compile" is.

You may not have the right config option set to make it compile.
randconfig builds trigger failed compiles quite often. Is that code
worth removing?

As most people test allyesconfig and allmodconfig quite a bit, I'm not
sure what code you are talking about. Basically everything that gets
enabled does compile.

Of course, if you set something to CONFIG_BROKEN and no one complains
for a few years, that's worth nuking.

-- Steve