[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Redesign Memory Management layer and more core subsystem

Christoph Lameter cl at gentwo.org
Fri Jun 13 18:41:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014, James Bottomley wrote:

> The point here is that lots of people say "just get your operating
> system out of my way" most realise they actually didn't mean it when
> presented with the reality.

Right. Exactly. What I would like to see is the OS doing its part to make
things nice and provide a convenient abstraction of the ugly details.

> The abstractions most people who say this want are a zero delay data
> path with someone else taking care of all of the metadata and setup
> problems ... effectively a MPI type interface.  Is that what you're
> looking for, Christoph?

Ideally the setup/metadata should be handled by the OS while the data
path would go direct. The get-out-of-the-way piece is restricted only to
the performance critical portion which is the actual data transfer.