[Ksummit-discuss] Topic: Removal of code that is still in use by users but there is a better code.

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Thu Jun 19 13:01:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:36 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-06-11 at 15:26 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:

>> Every time a developer wants to change a core API, that developer
>> needs to patch every driver that uses the API.  Every old, unused,
>> bitrotten driver we have in the tree is 100% wasted work, and often a
>> substantial amount of work because it's really hard even to understand
>> how those drivers are (mis)using the API being changed.
>
> Well how often do we do that?  It's not like it's the most common
> activity.

Well I'm doing that right now in the GPIO subsystem where I'm
refactoring all local irqchip implementations into the gpiolib.

So I attack-patch all suitable refactoring targets, indeed. And
sometimes the answer comes back "I don't have that hardware
anymore, cannot test it", even from the person listed as maintainer.
(drivers/gpio/gpio-adnp.c, drivers/pinctrl/spear/*)

And then I get a strong urge to delete it, because a maintainer that
can't maintain is not much of a maintainer...

Yours,
Linus Walleij