[Ksummit-discuss] Kernel Summit 2014 Call for Topics

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Fri May 2 15:13:08 UTC 2014

The annual Kernel Summit for 2014 will be held August 18th through the
20th in Chicago, overlapping with LinuxCon North America (which will
be held August 20th through the 22nd) at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel
and Towers.

The format of the Kernel Summit will be:

* Monday: Core attendee's plenary sessions
* Tuesday: Workshops and break out sessions
* Wednesday: Dual-track technical sessions  in parallel with LinuxCon

The Core plenary day will be focused on topics which are not
appropriate for any of the subsystem-specific workshops or
minisummits, and which cannot be easily resolved using the normal
e-mail and IRC channels.  These include issues about our overall
development process, and topics which span multiple subsystems.

The workshops are intended for kernel subsystems or other topics where
10-30 people need to have some intensive discussions for half or full
day.  There will also be a room for specialized discussions that are
come up at the last minute, or which perhaps don't require as much
time as a workshop.

The technical sessions will be open to all workshop attendees as well
as the core attendees; program committee will also consider
"information sharing" topics if they are clearly of interest to the
wider development community (i.e., topics that could be considered
advanced training for subsystem maintainers: memory barriers, RCU, git
workflows, etc.)

For space reasons, we try to cap the attendence of the core plenary
day to around 80-100 people.  We have created an initial list of
nominations for that core plenary day, based on the top 3rd or 4th
percentile of commit authors or reviewers over the past 16 months.
You can see that list here:

	http://goo.gl/FsVUFX

Since it is a mechnically generated list, it's obviously going to be
incomplete (even if it has 200 people).  So if you think that there
are people who should be on the list, you can nominate people (self
nominations are ok), by sending a note to:

	ksummit-discuss at lists.linuxfoundation.org

As in past years, people who suggest particularly interesting topics
and who actively and positively in engage in the discussion of those
topics will get special consideration by the program committee.

If you would like to suggest a topic, please send a separate e-mail
for each topic, so we can more easily track the discussion, and plase
tag your e-mail with [CORE TOPIC] or [TECH TOPIC] depending on whether
the topic would be a better fit for the Monday sessions or the
Wednesday sessions.  Also include a list of people who you think would
be valuable in participating in the discussion.

If possible, please send topic requests before May 15th, since that's
about when we will start evaluating the list of potential attendees.
Obviously, if new topics come up after that, please still send them to
us!  For one thing, invites will be going out in stages.  For another,
we want to make sure the kernel summit will be as useful as possible,
and that means if you think there's something that would be valuable
for the kernel community needs to consider, we'd like to know about it!

You can subscribe to the discuss list using mailman:

For reference, previous years' kernel summit agendas can be found here:

2013 agenda:  http://goo.gl/L3YOiX
2012 agenda:  https://sites.google.com/site/kernelsummit2012/agenda

If you are interested in leading one of the workshops on Tuesday,
please contact the kernel summit program committee with your proposal
at:

	ksummit-pc at lists.linux-foundation.org.

The 2014 Kernel Summit Program Committee

James Bottomley
Jonathan Corbet
Mel Gorman
Dirk Hohndel