[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Kernel tinification: shrinking the kernel and avoiding size regressions

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.cz
Fri May 2 19:38:36 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2 May 2014, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Furthermore, given that low level progams programs like systemd have
> grown to require control groups, it's not like you can even
> realistically strip it from potentially even many embedded kernels,
> since there seems to be a movement to have systemd infect even smaller
> embedded applications.
>
> Anyone want to lay odds on when systemd will start using various
> namespaces for its own purposes?  :-)

This is actually interesting topic on its own (but I am not completely
what kernel maintainers could be realistically doing about it) --
userspace _strictly_ depending on _optional_ kernel features.

systemd and cgroups is a good example, but not the only one, I think. A
few weeks ago I was struggling to boot a systemd-based userspace, to find
out that fanotify needs to be turned on.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs