[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Fri May 2 20:09:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2 May 2014 21:42:04 +0200 (CEST)
Jiri Kosina <jkosina at suse.cz> wrote:

> I'd like to re-iterate my usual question / discussion topic of
> responsibility distribution for -stable patches; my proposal again would
> be to align the -stable tree workflow with Linus' tree workflow -- i.e.
> subsystem maintainers preparing 'for-stable' branches and sending pull
> requests to the stable team, instead of rather random cherry-picking of
> the patches from the air as they fly by the stable team members.

But the stable tree has a distinct requirement of all patches having to
be first in mainline.

Having a pull request can allow people to sneak things in that may not
be in Linus's tree. That would be bad. The cherry-picking guarantees
that only changes that were in Linus's tree get into stable.

-- Steve