[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable issues

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 4 12:54:31 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Li Zefan <lizefan at huawei.com> wrote:
> I've been dealing with stable kernels. There are some issues that I noticed
> and may be worth discussing.
>
> - Too many LTS kernels?
>
> 2.6.32  Willy Tarreau
> 3.2     Ben Huchings
> 3.4     Greg
> 3.10    Greg
> 3.12    Jiry Slaby
>
> Too many or not? Is it good or bad? One of the problem is the maintenance
> burden. For example, DaveM has to prepare stable patches for 5 stable
> kernels: 3.2, 3.4, 3.10, 3.12 and 3.14.

To be fair, he doesn't have to.  He chooses to, and it's great.

> - Equip Greg with a sub-maintainer?
>
> I found 3.4.x lacked hundreds of fixes compared to 3.2.x. It's mainly
> because Ben has been manually backporting patches which don't apply
> cleanly, while Greg just doesn't have the time budget. Is it possible
> that we find a sub-maintainer to do this work?

I think you've already shown exactly how we can handle that.  It just
takes someone willing to do the work to dig in.  Greg seemed very
pleased with the patches for 3.4 being sent to him, and I know he's
thanked me each time I send a report of what Fedora is carrying on top
of a stable release.  Do we need something more formal that what
either of us have already done (or continue to do)?

> - Are there still sub-systems/maintainers not doing very good in stable stuff?
>
> Once I looked into "git log --no-merges v3.4.. kernel/sched/rt.c", out of
> 22 commits, only 2 fixes have stable tag, and finally I backported 4 commits
> to 3.4.x.

This one is a problem.  I actually think your "sub-maintainer" idea
applies more here than it does to a particular stable release.  If
people were working through each subsystem and finding patches that
should go back to stable, even if they aren't marked as such
initially, then we'd be better off overall.

> - Add a known_issues.txt?
>
> There are stable rules to what patch is acceptable, and besides a maintainer
> may decide not send a fix for stable for some reason, or an issue is taken
> care by no one.
>
> So how about add a known_issues.txt, then anyone who needs to bulid his
> own kernel based on LTS may find it useful.

One per subsystem, or one per stable kernel?  I'm not sure which you mean.

> - Testing stable kernels
>
> The testing of stable kernels when a new version is under review seems
> quite limited. We have Dave's Trinity and Fengguang's 0day, but they
> are run on mainline/for-next only. Would be useful to also have them
> run on stable kernels?

Yes, but I don't think that's the main problem.  The regressions we
see in stable releases tend to come from patches that trinity and 0day
don't cover.  Things like backlights not working, or specific devices
acting strangely, etc.

Put another way, if trinity and 0day are running on mainline and
linux-next already, and we still see those issues introduced into a
stable kernel later, then trinity and 0day didn't find the original
problem to being with.

josh