[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Driver model/resources, ACPI, DT, etc (sigh)

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Mon May 5 16:58:20 UTC 2014

On this topic I need to add:

how are the ACPI HW descriptions really happening?

I as subsystem maintainer have no real contact with these people,
I can only get a *vague* feeling that sometimes, they live in an ancient
world of assumptions that do not hold.

Specifically I am worried when seeing some ACPI stuff that their idea
of pin control is "some sort of fancy GPIO-bolt on" and I fear they will
attempt to model and implement this with an ugly interface that we
will have to account for later, instead of reading say
Documentation/pinctrl.txt and learn something about how software
engineers go about handling such hardware.

Where is the communication entry port for a driver subsystem
maintainer that want to bring a message to the ACPI HW bindings
people?

Yours,
Linus Walleij