[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Driver model/resources, ACPI, DT, etc (sigh)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed May 7 11:05:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 18:39 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> The other option is to have both the DT representation and the ACPI
> representation reach the drivers and leave it to the them (the drivers) to get
> through two different functions at probe time to "translates" that into a
> "3rd" driver private one (a structure, in a way akin to the old platform data
> but of course completely local to the driver scope).

I don't like that much. For "leaf-node" device drivers, I think we're
better off with a simple set of "device_get_property" functions which
are a little more type-safe than the existing of_* ones, thus helping us
to deal with the details of 32-bit cells vs. ACPI integers, etc.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation