[Ksummit-discuss] coverity, static checking etc.

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri May 9 21:39:20 UTC 2014

On Friday 09 May 2014 16:33:07 Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 10:18:40PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>  > On Friday 09 May 2014 13:07:09 Dave Jones wrote:
>  > > I gave a lightning talk on this last year. This year I have a bit more data
>  > > so could probably fill a whole session.
>  > >
>  > > Last year I had been doing the coverity scans on an almost daily basis
>  > > for 2-3 months.  Now that we're a year in, I'd like to share some
>  > > results, and show some of the more common trends and bug patterns that
>  > > seem to pop up.
>  > >
>  > > [ spoiler: For the most part, it's all pretty positive, but we still suck ]
>  > >
>  > > It would also be good to have some more discussion about other tools
>  > > we could be making more use of.  (Nomination: Dan Carpenter for smatch).
>  >
>  > I'd be interested in this. One thing I'd been meaning to ask you about
>  > for ages is what I can do to get scan results for ARM (or any other
>  > architecture for that matter) specific code. We have a lot of that these
>  > days, and as I understand it, the results on the public website are just
>  > for x86 builds.
>
> yeah, right now their tool (definitely front-end, but back-end too iirc)
> is x86 only.   So unless it's something that CONFIG_COMPILE_TEST would pick up,
> it's not going to be in the scans.

I have in the past successfully built architecture ports with the wrong
compiler by just removing all the inline assembly and slightly tweaking
the command line, for the purpose of review.

I'd assume I could do the same here, but I haven't figured out if there
is a way for me to actually get the tool so I can run it on my own machine.
When I signed for an account up last year, I only tried joining the "Linux"
project. Maybe I need to add another git tree that is configured for
building an ARM kernel?

	Arnd