[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] QR encoded oops for the kernel

Levente Kurusa levex at linux.com
Sun May 11 17:18:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 06:37:47PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Sunday 11 May 2014 18:29:18 Levente Kurusa wrote:

> > To be precise, most scanners don't automatically open the links
> > found in QR codes and hence a tap/click from the user is required. :-)

> > > By "web form", do you mean a new form or something that's part of
> > > kerneloops.org?
> > >
> > > It would be great if we could allow users to open a new
> > > bugzilla.kernel.org entry for the oops.  I believe Teodora is working
> > > on an Android app that could do this.  Hopefully it could store
> > > information about the person's system, and pre-propagate the bugzilla
> > > entry with this information.
> >
> > Yes, opening a bugzilla entry might be a good idea if the user fills
> > out the form. To be honest, I think for that to work we would need to
> > clean up bugzilla a bit. I try to do some work there every now and
> > then, but nobody is closing the bugs I have fixed...
> >
> > Not sure about how would we create the bugzilla entry? I mean, which
> > section, urgency, etc. how would we decide on those solely based on
> > the OOPS? Or should we ask the user to fill it out?
>
> Filling a complex form on a handheld device can be pretty tedious. A two steps
> procedure that would allow entering long text on a real computer could be an
> interesting option.

Makes sense.

What about only asking for an email address and then sending them
an automated message with a link where they can continue to add more
information to the report? (i.e. fill out the bugzilla)

I guess we should also be careful with the bugzilla. We really don't
want propertiary driver crashes added to the bugzilla automatically.
Nor do we want the same oops added twice, right? How would we
differentiate between the two - essentially the same - oopses?
Obviously, if we find two 'same' oopses then we can add the new
info to the old bug.

Maybe add filter based on 'P' taint to solve the propertiary issue.

Oh and of course the email address thing would be optional.

> > > I would recommend that Teodora lead the discussion, since this is her
> > > project.  Levente has been provided helpful commentary and additional
> > > patches, and should definitely participate in the discussion as well.
> >
> > I was just about to say that the order might not be the most correct. :-)
> >
> > However, I am more than happy to help Teodora lead the discussion if
> > she decides so.

> > > Another relevant person to include would be PJ Waskiewicz.  Teo worked
> > > on the QR code generator during her internship with the FOSS Outreach
> > > Program for Women (OPW) and PJ was her mentor for the project.
> > >
> > > You mentioned the kerneloops.org maintainer, but didn't list him here?
> > >
> > >  Anton Arapov looks to be the maintainer, since he's the only
> > >
> > > contributor to the kerneloops.org github repo.
> > >
> > > The idea for the oops QR code generator came from Peter Anvin and Dirk
> > > Hohndel, so they may want to participate in the discussion as well.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Laurent Pinchart

Thanks,