[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] hobbyist recruiting

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sun May 11 19:26:30 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 09:16:02PM +0200, Levente Kurusa wrote:
> Of course, the Eudyptula challenge did bring some new developers,
> but as far as I see most of them posted only one patch/patchset.

How do you know who is doing this challenge and who isn't?  I see a lot
of new people coming in with multiple sets of patches for cleanups and
good fixes over the past month or so.  Trying to track where they
actually come from is nothing I really care about, and is probably
impossible.

If you track the number of unique people I take patches from, it's
going up, as is our number of unique contributors to the kernel overall.
It's been constantly increasing for the past 8 years, ever since I
started tracking the kernel development statistics.

> Maybe, there is a way so that they will stay and work more?

I have loads of work for people to do if they want to do it:
	drivers/staging/*/TODO

> Keep them somehow in the game, i.e. badges? Mozilla's Open Badges?

Gamifaction?  Really?  No.

greg k-h