[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] hobbyist recruiting

Levente Kurusa levex at linux.com
Sun May 11 19:50:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 09:26:30PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 09:16:02PM +0200, Levente Kurusa wrote:
> > Of course, the Eudyptula challenge did bring some new developers,
> > but as far as I see most of them posted only one patch/patchset.
>
> How do you know who is doing this challenge and who isn't?  I see a lot
> of new people coming in with multiple sets of patches for cleanups and
> good fixes over the past month or so.  Trying to track where they
> actually come from is nothing I really care about, and is probably
> impossible.

I've been thinking about the people who have said so in their
emails.

> If you track the number of unique people I take patches from, it's
> going up, as is our number of unique contributors to the kernel overall.
> It's been constantly increasing for the past 8 years, ever since I
> started tracking the kernel development statistics.
>
> > Maybe, there is a way so that they will stay and work more?
>
> I have loads of work for people to do if they want to do it:
> 	drivers/staging/*/TODO

I talk from my own experiences. I gave a talk recently and after the
talk people asked me how could they start. The problem, they say, is
that there really is no central TODO list. Maybe there could be a
Documentation/NewcomersStartHere-like file that would list for
instance the TODO files in drivers/staging? It's nothing big, but
would certainly help people find their ways.

> > Keep them somehow in the game, i.e. badges? Mozilla's Open Badges?
>
> Gamifaction?  Really?  No.

Fedora is doing something like this as well.

Thanks,
    Levente Kurusa.