[Ksummit-discuss] coverity, static checking etc.

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Mon May 12 06:48:11 UTC 2014

On 05/11/2014 01:10 PM, Wolfram Sang wrote:

>> Last year I had been doing the coverity scans on an almost daily basis
>> for 2-3 months.  Now that we're a year in, I'd like to share some
>> results, and show some of the more common trends and bug patterns that
>> seem to pop up.
>>
>> [ spoiler: For the most part, it's all pretty positive, but we still suck ]
>>
>> It would also be good to have some more discussion about other tools
>> we could be making more use of.  (Nomination: Dan Carpenter for smatch).
>
> I'm definately interested.

I am also interested in this because using these tools is just one way
how to clean the source code and it must be automated.

> In my workflow, I use sparse/smatch/coccicheck/cppcheck before applying
> my own work, or patches to the i2c branches. (Oh, and rats and flawfinder,
> too, but so far, they didn't point to something worthwhile.)
>
> I am interested in workflows and experiences from other people, how
> usage of static analyzers could be spread (gcc inclusion sounds great),
> how to make them more robust, etc... And by doing that, get a better
> feeling when an issue left the scope of static code checking and needs
> some proper handling.

I expect that this is already the part of aiaiai. The part of this discussion
should be also kernel-doc format checking because a lot of patches
are trying to use kernel-doc format but it is just broken - even checker
is in the kernel.

Everybody is using own testing - isn't it better to just add all these
checking the part of the linux kernel that everybody can enable it
and test it? I hope that everybody is running checkpatch before patch
is sent. Why not just tell them run this in-kernel tool with all
that checking enabled before you send the patch?

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854