[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] hobbyist recruiting

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon May 12 23:23:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 12:38:38PM -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 09:26:30PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 09:16:02PM +0200, Levente Kurusa wrote:
> > > Of course, the Eudyptula challenge did bring some new developers,
> > > but as far as I see most of them posted only one patch/patchset.
> >
> > How do you know who is doing this challenge and who isn't?  I see a lot
> > of new people coming in with multiple sets of patches for cleanups and
> > good fixes over the past month or so.
>
> Is it mostly in the staging tree?  That's where I really got my feet wet
> when I started.  Assisting with code cleanup isn't glamorous, but it's a
> good place to learn the ropes.  And the staging tree is, imho, a more
> receptive place for cleanup patches.  Since the code isn't kernel
> qwality to begin with.

Most of the cleanup is in the staging tree that I see, given that I'm
the maintainer of it, and we need lots of cleanup there :)

> > If you track the number of unique people I take patches from, it's
> > going up, as is our number of unique contributors to the kernel overall.
> > It's been constantly increasing for the past 8 years, ever since I
> > started tracking the kernel development statistics.
>
> Cool, I didn't know you were actively tracking that.  Is the data
> publicly hosted?  Is that based on merged patches, or posted emails?

It's based on merged patches, and can all be found at:
	https://github.com/gregkh/kernel-history
along with the scripts that generate the numbers.

> My primary goal is to draw attention to the issue of aggressive mail
> filtering, new devs can pop up anywhere, and acknowledging them.  By
> acknowledge, I mean answering the email, and treating them like everyone
> else.  But we have to spot the emails first.

Why would someone "new" be treated any differently?  Everyone should be
treated with the same response and respect.

greg k-h